Saturday, July 11, 2009

50 First Dates

I was thinking about the electronic music genre and its point of origin, which would be Brian Eno's Music for Airports. Interesting thing though is that I couldn't remember Eno's name, only
  1. that the album is the genesis of electronic music
  2. that he also produced U2's album, Achtung, Baby.
I then looked him up in the album liner notes.

All of this reminded me of one of my favorite movies, 50 First Dates. Other than the adorable Drew Barrymore (still haz teh crush) was how the movie handled her memory condition. In the story, she has suffered a brain injury and has lost the ability to create long term memory, and "resets" every morning, unbeknownst to herself.

Imagine the revelation that you've been waking up every day to the same memory point in the past, yet time goes by. It was really cool to see in the end, on the boat, how each day she wakes up to watch a video of herself remind herself of who she is.

Good movie.

No comments: